I'm listening....

Alright Steph.

"Ask and you shall receive."

So Stephanie and I were talking today, and I mentioned that whenever I have struggled with something the Lord was doing, I was temped to "pull a ___ "(blank left to signify a person who shall remain nameless. On second thought, let's call him "Tom".) What I meant was that "Tom" has, in the past, on occasion, decided to,.... shall we say,.... thumb his nose at God.



To be fair, the situations that "Tom" had to deal with were fairly difficult, and under the same pressure, I'm sure I would've faired much worse. However, "Tom" found some solace in washing his hands of the whole circumstance by mumbling "Screw it", or some-such-other, and effectively throwing in the towel. If only for a few hours. (Long enough to eat a burger, fries, some donuts, and wash it all down with a coke.)



Really, it was only a bluff. Just a mindgame "Tom" played on himself to relieve a little pressure. (Still, I don't have the liberty to tell God to "step off", and apparently, he did. )

So, anyhow, I have considered this option, on rare occasion, and I dubbed it "pullin' a Tom".

That got me and Steph to thinkin'.

What would be "pullin' a Bonnie"?

It would have to be something unflattering, because I think that's what the term insinuates. Also, it doesn't have to be done very often at all, but must have been done consistently in the same situation.

So, maybe... arguing a point until I'm very indignant, emotional, and loud, and then breaking into tears because I can't stand the strain that anger puts on me and the relationship.

Maybe "pullin' a Bonnie" would be having conversations with guests while simultaneously sweeping, clearing the table, and answering questions from children. (Rude! very Rude.)

Anywho, perhaps you will share a bit about the dark underbelly of your soul with all of us here at "Bonnie Life". I will not laugh at you, but I may "pull a Bonnie" and dust the keyboard while I read.

12 comments

  1. Recite the same two stupid poems again? This is certainly a very cruel question to ask, especially of people who tend to not be very introspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I understand Totila's note but maybe i "pulled a Stephanie" and forgot some really important happening or conversation and we'll have to spend 15 minutes reminding me.

    My compliments to the Bonster for great service on this blog. No other blogger responds so quickly to requests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure but I think Totila is saying that reciting the same stupid poem twice, is what pulling a Totila would be.
    However I like your stupid poems Totila.
    Anyway I asked the Lord about what pulling a Kim would be, I guess my most unflattering aspect is when I hold stuff inside, until I can't take it and then it just bursts out everywhere in tears, words and hurt. The Lord has been working on me in this area but I still need a lot O work!
    By the way I think having conversations with guests while simultaneously sweeping, clearing the table, and answering questions from children, is pure talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe pulling a Totila = reciting the same old poem.

    I also tried to say that this is a difficult excercise for some folks, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toti,
    If this is a hard one for less introspective peoples, then a little "exercise" will do them good!

    (besides, it was Steph's idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pulling a Tamar would be...

    hiding in my room/bed to avoid problems.

    blah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pulling a Stevie= not expressing what I'm thinking and it comes across as aloof and snotty. Everybody thinks I'm a boor and I've just been trying to keep my comments to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anonymous - I'm glad you decided to be discrete and not give your name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the "coming clean" people. How about "Pullin' a Mark" or "Pullin' a Shane"? Where are you and what are doing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having to go anonymous because I can't get this dumb thing to recognize my password.

    Passwords. Sheesh.

    ps- my true identity rhymes with Bleevin Dranuel! YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel under the crowd who does Ali sorts of tasks while my son tries to talk to me. Sigh... Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete