Why are you here?

My oldest child suggested I write a blog again.

Oh yes.  This isn’t my first rodeo.  Back in the mid 2000’s, my sistah friend Stephanie made me get an email address (I resisted, she insisted), and we both started clever blogs.  Back then, it was how you saw what your friends were thinking about and any creative goo that was falling out of their heads.  Think Facebook, only without the nasty, voyeuristic narcissism.  Anywho, we did some pretty fun stuff there, and even wrote a few posts that prompted serious contemplation.  We bookmarked our favorite blogs (no feeds back then sister), which consisted solely of people we personally knew, and as time and life ran on, it outpaced our interest in typing out our personal musings.



Which brings me to this morning.

Katie, the aforementioned oldest child, whipped up this blog in the span of a few hours last night.  She even went back to my old blog (it’s still there!!) and started moving old posts over here!  I don’t remember agreeing to ANYTHING.  Our conversation went something like this:

Katie (use a higher pitched, pushy teenage girl voice) - “Mom, you really should write a blog. I’m sure you’d have fun with it.”

She begins pulling up some blog template site on her computer, (did you know they had those?  I didn’t.) creating the very blog you’re looking at.

Me (use a sophisticated, kind womanly voice) – “Gee honey, I don’t know, I already have a lot to do.  Sounds like another commitment to me.

K – “Oh no! It’ll be just for fun! You can write once a week – it’ll take like 30 minutes tops.  You don’t have 30 minutes to do something you enjoy?”

Me – “Well, I do like writing, but I’m already doing stuff I enjoy.  I wasn’t really shopping around for a new hobby.”

She then begins asking me questions about myself…”What’s your favorite food?  What’s your favorite color?  How many children do you have?”

Trying to be an accommodating mother, I good-naturedly began my answers:

“Well I do love steak and pasta and seafood, but you know a good salad with croutons and cheese is a wonderful meal.  Actually, steak or pasta or seafood ON a salad is even better.  Of course I don’t guess you meant what I like for dessert right?   I could give you some answers that go that direction too…are you getting all this?”


She typed stuff out, picked out colors, forced me to give ideas for a blog name/subtitle, made me decide which sidebars and menus and barrettes and jewelry to put on the thing.  I patiently tried to please her every wish.   And before I knew it, she was trying to announce at supper that I was an authoress.   Of course, I smiled ingratiatingly at her and said, “Please pass the croutons”.

She continued to tell me how she could help me get more viewers or trackers or readers or whatever. I say again, I don’t remember agreeing to ANY of this.   But that’s okay, I thought.   I’ll just let her have fun setting this up and humor her tonight.  I reminded myself that this was a way I could help my daughter stir up her creative juices.  I hoped she had thoroughly enjoyed this little design session.

And then I woke up this morning an hour before my alarm, (our youngest, Polly, consistently screeches cheerfully at 6:30 every am) and guess why I couldn’t roll over and enjoy that last blissful snoozy hour?  I was thinking about my first new blog post.

Pushy girl.




10 comments

  1. Now you have to keep blogging! She told all of us about it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to see you here, enjoyed what I have read so far and look forward to more :) I stumbled upon one of your daughter's videos last year and was immediately impressed. Thought to myself what a wonderful well mannered joyous child. I think I probably watched all the videos she had that night. Anyway, much respect to you and your husband for raising wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! What a wonderful daughter you have, of course I do totally believe that all stems from her wonderful mom. I am the 20th child of 21 born to my mom, I have 12 brothers and 8 sisters. But, I believe my mother kept going until she got it perfect lol. I'm gonna love reading your blog and following your life. From one Bonnie to another, my hat is off to you and this wonderful new adventure.
    Much love,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet another Bonnie! What a great name you have!! Ha! My mother heard it in "Gone With the Wind" with the character of Bonnie Blue Butler. How 'bout you? Thanks for the compliments and a big Wowwie! to your mom! I bet we could all learn some home management skills from her!!

      Delete
    2. By the time I was born I had 8 sisters already, so all the family names, friends etc were taken. We had no TV (older than you and a dirt poor family) from which to be as lucky as you and be named from one of my favorite movies. I was named after my nurse. BORING!! Lol

      Delete
  4. OH MY GRAVY!!! So glad you are sharing your wonderful and silly mind with all of us, FINALLY! It seems to come natural to the girls in your family. Maybe Miss Polly Anna can get a word in, here and there even though she is two. Little girls always have something to say. Bless you Bonnie for stepping out. Looking forward to all your blogging thoughts. Love you gobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh yes, we are all talkers over here. And Polly is joining in the fun for sure. When she talks, we all listen. Glad you got a giggle!

      Delete