Leave the sinklight on for me

I was washing dishes after supper the other night and realized something.

My mother often finished cleaning the kitchen, after our evening meal, by the light above the sink. She would wipe off the counters and leave that light on for a while after her nightly chores were done, and before she went to bed, she would turn if off. While that light was on, everything was winding down. My brother and I got our baths, the table was cleaned off, Daddy was home watching tv (or snoring in the bed!).

The wet countertops shining by the light of that dim sinklight meant that things were as they should be.



So, what I realized is this: that the little 60watt bulb above the sink means alot to me. It says, "Someone is home that cares about cleaning the kitchen, getting things readied for the morrow". It reminds me of my sweet, safe childhood.  (I know how unusual and blessed that is)  That sinklight means to me what the front porch light means to other people - someone is thinking of me, and has prepared for my needs. It has become another representative of love to me.

I love that sinklight. And I love my mama - the sinklight user of my childhood.

Now that I'm the mama, I don't use our sinklight much, but I might try to a little more.

When my children are older, I hope they can remember little "sinklights" from their childhood - mundane, everyday things that have become important to them simply because it reminds them of how loved they are.

3 comments

  1. What a beautiful memory. I too love watching my momma under the sink light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie, I'm Laurie. We had a sink light in our kitchen too and after reading your post, I realized that I, too, have always found comfort in leaving a light on in the kitchen. Thanks for your beautiful new blog! I can't wait to hear more! btw I too am in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Good to hear from others who have sweet Mama memories!

    ReplyDelete