Not Worth It.




People, I’m sitting here wincing every time my tongue touches the roof of my mouth, because I burned it.  Yes, the skin is gone.  All from an inferno hot corn-on-the-cob.  I know you sympathize, because we’ve all done it.  But as I sit here nursing the shredded remains of my mouth roof, I wonder why?

I mean, it’s not like we don’t know the item is hot.  We, as people, are generally observant.  We notice signs of hotness.  So much so that we must use fun little, yellow, corn-shaped corn holders.  We regard the steam rolling off the juicy kernels, the warm buttery fragrance wafting up, the heat warming our face as we bring it to our lips; all these things suggest that this food is more than lukewarm. 


And yet, we continue putting the fork/spoon/knife/spade/cob all the way into our mouths.  Why?

Maybe we’re really hungry.  I mean REALLY hungry.  Hmmm…..let’s think of an analogy of a perceived need that would make us willing to chance skin being burned off a sensitive part of our body that we use every waking moment….

I got it!  Remember what it feels like to be tired?  No, I mean REALLY tired?  So tired you are aching for your bed and are actually falling asleep with your eyes open?  Okay.  Are you, in that moment, tired enough to burn the skin off your eyelids in order to lay your weary head upon your pillow?  Of course not!!!  So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me!*

Maybe we are just so excited?  It’s one of our favorite foods!  We haven’t had it in forever! And the good people at Kroger advertised that it was the First of the Season “Olathe sweet sweet corn” to quote.  And it was 10 for $2!  So I get to eat two!  Let’s see.  I am absolutely positive my personal excitement has never led to inattention of the temperature of the food placed before me.  I’m betting your excitement hasn’t either.  So I can clearly not choose the wine in front you.*

Where does that leave us…let us sum up*.

We don’t burn our mouths because:
1)  We don’t know it’s hot
2)  We are really hungry
3)  We are too interested/excited to notice the temperature


So I guess we’re just impatient.  Is that it?  Is it that simple?  We are such gluttonous impatient hogs that we won’t wait for the food to cool to a reasonable temperature?  Not even to avoid a 3-day literal pain-in-the-mouth?  That’s embarrassing.  Seriously.  I can’t even talk about it anymore.  Mostly because I need to go suck on some ice to relieve the swelling.

* movie references.  Don't know which one?  For shame. "Princess Bride".  See it and be forgiven.



6 comments

  1. Hi Bonnie. We've never met, and yet when I read your writing, it feels like I am spending time with a good friend. Inconceivable! I don't know when I have enjoyed a post more. I found your blog through Katie's YouTube channel. I am so glad I did! Best wishes, and looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle, your words are so kind,
    a pal like you is hard to _____.

    Glad you enjoyed it! and glad to hear from another "Princess Bride" lover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I am thanking my having had to have braces. Up until the application of that orthodontic torture, regardless of result, I too shared your Corn on the Cob Burned off Roof of My Mouth, but since said Orthodontic Torture I have found that the use of the very handy fork (or any spear-like item) and a sharp butter knife/knife will enable one to cut those bursts of golden goodness from the cob and into any recepticle desired, then slightly reheated/ buttered et VOILA!!! MAGIC!!!! :) No more burned mouth, no more mess all over your face ( maybe that was just me ;) and JUST as delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Tammi. You are right about the consumption of corn off the actual cob being limited because of said Orthodontic Torture, and that this has inadvertently enabled you to still enjoy its goodness without the (non-required) burning of the roof of the mouth.

      However.

      There are, sadly, those of us who could still find a way to burn the mouth with reheated corn kernels (or any other food), braces or no.

      I think you do yourself an injustice then, by lauding the braces for requiring you to find another way to eat corn on the cob. The truth I think, to your success is that you are one smart cookie because you learned your lesson well (during the torture) and have voluntarily continued to avoid being burned even after the removal of the Orthodontic Torture instruments!

      Good on you!!!

      Delete
  4. Dearest Bon Truffles, Me thinks you have hit upon one of humanity's great weaknesses. Just think how glorious the lesson you have learned of our own "gluttonous impatience." May you never let it get the best of you again! :) For, in the end, we would all do well to remember that truly 'tis "not worth it."
    Love your thoughts dear friend! Mostly because I love who they come from!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had a quarter for every time I burned my mouth :-) .... I've broken the power of too hot corn on the cob with Tammi's trick but steaming bowls of yummy soup have often seduced me into "gluttonous impatience." Sheepishly, I say, I'll try to do better this upcoming soup season. LYSO

    ReplyDelete