Let them eat CANDY!!






When's the last time you heard this sentence spoken:
"Please,... don't buy any more candy!"?

My mother informed me that she has, again, asked this of my father. This made me laugh out loud.

I mean c'mon. "No More Candy!"? No one says that!
People love candy! Especially my dad. Actually, he loves all things edible, but still.

I will allow that he buys it at every opportunity:

- When he "runs to Walmart".

- At the gas station.

- Goin' to see the grandkids? Let's pick up some "treats".

- On a roadtrip.

- During ANY holiday (and it's half-off the day after the holiday you know).

- Anytime you happen to be in the car going somewhere that might have candy.

Shoot. He even buys the candy at the Mexican restaurants by the cash register. Mmmmmm.



Okay. So he buys too much candy. But I'm not askin' him to stop. (I NEVER get to eat that Mexican candy, unless I'm with him, and I really like it.)

Used to, when I was in highschool/college, Kat and I would always get gas station candy for any road trip. Typical fare was gummy bears, bit-o-honey (still a fav of mine), sugar daddys, sugary bubble gum, and, for some reason, pistacios. (though I hated the pink stain on my fingers, I loved the sugar/salt combo)

I miss that. When I see Kat now, which isn't often enough, we still pick up the candy to enjoy with the kiddos.

But it's bad for us, so I don't buy it any other time. And I want it to be "a treat" for every now and then.

Like when we visit my mom and dad.

12 comments

  1. Most usage of the word "candy" in one post!

    10!! Did I count right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a dish of candy - normally Hershey Kisses - that sit in a beautful dish (wedding gift from the Gormans actually) on an end table. When grandma watches TV with us in the living room, she sits on that love seat and reaches over every few minutes to enjoy another little treat.

    Sometimes she does this when we are not around as well. We know this because she cannot see well enough to know that she has dropped the little white papers which come in each KISS and we find them on the floor.

    This has stopped recently since she began watching what she eats and going to work out at the Arlington Senior Center 4 times per week.

    And yes, I believe it was mentioned 10 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you made me remember a treat I haven't had in years...candied peanuts. They're red and kind of bumpy---crunchy, sweet and salty.

    My word verification was ottjcc.
    (interesting only to me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wordverification millermss - interesting to all, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always loved the candied cigarettes that tasted like chalk and looked like it too and i thought i looked so cool pretending to smoke them... can you believe my mom would allow this? i can. also the wax tubes that had juice in them... i dont remember what they are called but i loved those... but nowadays... i just love the plain ole' snicker and reeses butter cups... Mmmmm...

    hey my word verification was marshallamy... weird huh? no really it was dbkjl....i think they are calling me a dumb jackel??? or as kevin says a dumb blonde? isnt he sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truff,

    My Gramma Janey was the candy goddess. Aw, now I'm starting to get teary. I miss her and her 20 candy dishes stashed all over the house.

    Thanks for that memory.

    ~T

    ReplyDelete
  7. my great aunt ruby always had the lemon drops at her house. i did not really like them, but when candy is available, i partake - i do not wish to offend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the lemon drops - one of the few memories I have of my Poppa was him offering me lemon drops from a small brown bag.

    Tamar - what was in your Gramma Janey's candy dishes?

    Good for you eatin' some candy to be nice, MSM. I hardly pass up a candy my own self.

    Steph - the red peanuts are nast.

    Amy - You made me giggle with the "can you believe my mom would allow this? I can." bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. everything! Jellybeans and tootsie rolls, lemon drops and licorice, lollipops and truffles! Everything.

    But her favorite was black licorice and I loved her so much that I tried very hard as a little girl to like it too.

    Sometimes, I still try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "A" for effort T!

    I HATE licorice, and like my father, there aren't many edible things that I can say that about.

    but I would eat it for my Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think there is an automatic rule that once you receive double digit comments on a post, you are obligated to write another post - it may be religion, but rules are rules

    ReplyDelete