Chores aren't a bore!!


It's been my observation that chores come with their own rewards. Not just the "a job well done is it's own reward" deal, though that can be true, but actual perks, I'm sayin'.

Examine, if you will, vacuuming.



It is, by far, my favorite traditional household-cleaning chore. Such satisfaction in seeing the vacuum tracks as you go, and a completed room all fluffed up with parallel rows covering the carpet! Oh yeah, and it's clean too. Gives me a little lift.



There too, is the laundry. There is reward in each step:

Sorting? Easy money in forgotten pockets!
Putting into the washing machine with soap and softener? Smells delightful!
Moving clothes to the dryer? It's fun to clean the lint filter!
Folding warm clothes? Not so fun.
But stacks of folded clothes sitting on the couch, ready to be put away? A success!!

I really don't despise any chore, though some are less savory than others.



Take cleaning up the floor after the baby has "eaten". Wiping up steamed (read: smashed) broccoli florets with a wet paper towel is a little unappetizing. Especially if I'm about to eat my lunch. However, kissing said baby after having rinsed off his little hands and face (read: sponge bath) is a favorite reward of mine!

I may be easily amused, but I'm endeavoring to always be lookin' for the bright side (often, it is the right side!) of things, and honestly, perspective is a big part of how content you are.

So, dear reader, when it comes time again to mop and scrub those floors, and it's all clean and still shiny with wetness, do what I do: put each foot on a paper towel, and slide around like you're ice skating, til it's all dry! It'll cause your kids to question your saneness, and put a smile on your face!!

4 comments

  1. I don't own a mop.

    My hubby came up with a method of cleaning the kitchen floor which he "insists" makes the mop obsolete:

    Hot, soapy, bleach-water in the sink, and two large, white, bath towels which he puts under his size 13 feet as he skates around the kitchen floor.

    I've decided it's best not to argue with him, so he's been doing the floors exclusively for the past decade.

    heh.

    Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm talkin' about.

    You go girl!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do not mind chores, but always feel as though it is more fun to do them with someone - makes everything about them better

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to here from the Bonster again. This attitude is one of my favorite things about you...your abitlity to find joy in the simple, the mundane, the despised tasks...so much like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete